Welcome

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Oh My



This is who I feel like right now. Up until about two seconds ago, there were terrible cries, and howling from the girls room about wanting daddy and not liking mommy. In my defense, if I have any, I spent half of the day yesterday in bed with a fever of 101.6! Today I am feeling better, but not all the way. I have a sore throat, and I am still quite tired. I put a movie on for the kids, (Ironically it happened to be 101 Dalmatians. Which is why I have her on the brain.) then took a shower. I told them I was going to lay down and rest while they finished watching. I gave them a snack and left them happily enjoying their new cinema experience. Toward the end, of my in and out nap I could hear them jumping on the couch. I asked them to stop it at least 3 times from my room. We have a futon and they love to climb on the back of the mattress and jump onto the part where you actually sit. This makes the couch slouchy, and ruins it even more than it already is. We have told them repeatedly not to do it. They were even banned from the couch for a week once. Well I got up and was very calm. I asked them to go and make their beds. They did. Juliana was done first and I asked her to start picking up the dress up things in her room. She immediately started complaining in a rather large voice that she hadn't made the mess. Keep in mind that she is wearing a dress from the dress up box, and earlier had been decked out with crown, jewels and gloves. I didn't point all this out I just asked her to do it again. She recommenced the yelling. Meanwhile, Kathryn had found the last 3 toys that were still in the right place and was playing with them in the dining room. I admit that I lost it and lost it good. Whenever this happens they always cry for their father. I now it's normal, it still bugs me. I'm human, what can I say? So what do you do when your fuse is short, and your buttons are being pushed? Besides counting, because while that does work most of the time, in a situation like this it just doesn't come to mind. Now I can't get the Cruella Deville song out of my head, "If she doesn't scare you no other thing will." 

5 comments:

Cristi said...

It happens to EVERY mom! I have no patience for those episodes from Pete, especially when I'm tired or sick.

Stefanie said...

My mom told me it was good for the kids to learn that if you push someone far enough, they'll lose it. Better to learn with a mom they know loves them than a teacher or someone else. So good job losing it. You're teaching them valuable life lessons. :)

Mamu Lou said...

I love this blog because it's definitely something that's on my mind a lot these days with my little two year old! When I am in the right frame of mind to NOT fly off the handle, the best thing I can do is call and talk to some else about it to release some steam. Oh ya, and did I mention time out? Nothing better than a two minute break for both of us! I'm sorry to hear you've been sick!!! Let me know if you need some chicken soup or some time away from the girls. I could always come and take them all to the park!?!?!

Kendra said...

Every mom loses it. Just go into your bathroom, turn on the fan and the water, put your fingers in your ears, and sing "I am a child of God" (especially the help me find the way part) over and over. I swear it helps!

Christian (Chrissy) Anderson said...

I love it, I love it, I love it! Does that sound mean? I only mean that I love to find out that I am a normal mommy and that we all hit our breaking point (even if some get there more often than others)!