Welcome

Thursday, February 05, 2009

Altitude

There was a time not so long ago that I was a good cook. Most of the things that I tried to cook turned out well if not down right nummy. I thought that I was just getting better and my skills were improving through practice. Not so. Since returning to Provo my cooking skills have hit a wall in the most important section of my cooking; desserts. Desserts that I have had success with previously. I have started to doubt my ability, then suddenly it hit me tonight as I ate yet another failed dessert that had the right taste but horrible consistency. It's the altitude. Do I really need to re-learn all my recipes and constantly look for high altitude directions for recipes that I find? What a bother. I looked at Steven tonight and said, "Can't we move back to Nashville and you find somewhere else to work?" I know it's prideful. I just want my cooking to be normal again. I really don't do well with failure in the kitchen, it's something I'm working on, but as of yet haven't learned to deal with. Any suggestions?

14 comments:

alanna said...

I don't have any suggestions. :)
But sorry your desserts are turning out bad!
(I usually like any desserts, even the ones that don't come out perfect. -Okay, pretty much anything with sugar.)

Saddie said...

You're funny Meg! I'm glad you generally find joy in your cooking abilities and hope you can make peace with the altitude demon. Have you considered bribing the powdered sugar fairies to spread their magic dust around the kitchen? I've heard that it's a fool proof way to ward off altitude demons, but you read all sorts of nonsense on the internet these days. :o)

Britt-Marie said...

Oh dear. I'd forgotten about that. I can't even remember what I did differently from now. Actually I don't think I've ever really understood the altitude thing. Maybe you should ask your RS if someone (who knows) could do a mini-enrichment on it.

Marie Says Yes said...

is it wrong that a small failure in the kitchen for you makes me kinda happy? your amazing cooking always gives me a complex! :) just kidding, may your alititude confusion be corrected soon. maybe you could pray about it? :)

Sara said...

I have had the same recurring nightmare since moving back from VA. Everything baked requires more flour, I can tell you that.

The rest? Well, we're still working on it. Maybe we should practice together some day. Or just have an "I hate the altitude" party. :)

Becky said...

Grrr. I feel your pain. I grew up in Portland, OR - so cooking was always a breeze. Then I moved to Provo and couldn't figure out why my wonderful choc. chip cookies were horrible. Then I realized... yes, altitude.
For cakes (boxed mixes) there is usually a high altitude option on the box. Usually you need a little less sugar and more flour in high altitude recipes.
Here's my fav. Choc. chip recipe for high altitude....


1 c. butter
½ c. sugar
¾ c. brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
½ tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 c. chocolate chips
2-3 c. flour
Nuts, if desired
Preheat oven to 375°F. Cream butter and sugars until fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs and beat well. Slowly add baking soda and salt. Add flour slowly until batter is too thick to stir further. This will take approx. 2-3 c. flour. Add chocolate chips and nuts if desired. Bake 8-10 minutes. Makes approx. 3 dozen cookies that will rise tall and thick.


Check this site out too -

http://www.highaltitudebaking.com/adj_recipes.htm


Good luck!

Joell said...

I think moving back to Nashville is a great idea--that's what I'd suggest! Just to sweeten the deal--we've only had to scrape frost off the cars 4 or 5 mornings, shoveled NO snow, and it's nearly 60 degrees today.....

Mamu Lou said...

Yes, you should move back here to Nashville. We miss you! 'Nuff said.

Natalie said...

I can't tell you how many of my cakes sunk in the middle becuase I failed to follow high altitude directions! It's perfectly ok to be prideful about you cooking. :) Let me know if you figure out any tricks.

TeamDall said...

You totally have to readjust. I had a huge problem in DC because of the altitude. Hope you get a baking revelation and that your stuff starts turning out better again. love ya

Snowwhite said...

I always use just a tiny bit less baking soda in things, like cookies. Something about how things rise up faster in high altitudes, and then go flat. I read up on it once when I lived in Salt Lake City. Anyway, sorry we weren't able to connect last weekend. We ended up leaving Monday afternoon due to the weather and didn't really have much more time. We'll have to try another time.

chloe said...

So, you know I read your blog regularly, but it was fun to come visit and see how it looks: Fabulous!!! And I love your family pic! Ha ha ha.

Stefanie said...

Actually, this makes me wonder about my cooking. I have never followed the high altitude directions, but have always lived at a high altitude. Does this mean my baking has always been awful, and I don't even know it???

M said...

It takes time...a whole lot of precious time. and it takes flour--and a back--up dessert!