Welcome

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Destiny

I think I have discovered the reason we needed to live in Nashville. Well two actually. Before revealing what they are I want to make a disclaimer and say that despite the answer to this question I love you all back there, and really you rank higher than food, but at this moment I can't help it. Okay it's BBQ and cole slaw! I know it sounds dumb, but those of you who know, know that I am not crazy. We made pulled pork and coleslaw on Sunday and I just had the left overs for lunch. It's so good. Now for those of my readers who live in the west let me explain a couple of things. BBQ (I am abbreviating because I hate spelling it out) does not necessarily have BBQ sauce. In fact, it is my opinion that the greatest BBQ does not. It is lovely slow cooked meet with tones of great spice served up with a fresh side of slaw. Now another thing, slaw is not mayonnaise based in the south either. Well maybe some is, but again I think the best stuff is vinegar based. There is nothing like spicy pork and cool slaw together. It's a great marriage. It ranks with chocolate and peanut butter, mashed potatoes and gravy, a good cheese and baguette, well you get the picture. It's heaven. But until I ventured into the great lands of Nashville and Goldsoboro NC, I had no idea they existed. Sad huh? This is where, if I was a good blogger I would have a beautiful photo to show you, but the BBQ and slaw is all gone. Maybe next time.

9 comments:

Mamu Lou said...

I second your raves about pork and coleslaw. There is nothing quite like it (I'm thinking of Whitt's BBQ right now and my mouth is watering...it must be the pregnancy hormones!) I disagree that that is the number one reason you guys were here...that was bringing all of us gals together through volleyball...but BBQ is a close, close second ;)!!!!!!

ChristyLou said...

You're so funny Megan...and yes, you better rank us higher than the food!! It's hard to compete with Debbie Russell's pulled pork, but we still have to win somehow! :)

The Boring Family said...

I know what you mean about the BBQ. Not that I've ever lived in the South (in fact CO is the farthest east for me, sad, I know), but my dad is into competitive BBQ and it's some pretty good stuff. I like it best without the sauce, too.

Sara said...

I'm not a huge BBQ, but my VA days did teach me that I prefer:

-BBQ that is not sauce-based but spice-rubbed

-Vinegar based slaw and sauce

-Southern BBQ v. midwest BBQ

Now, if you tell me you fell in love with collard greens and okra, I can't possibly agree with you. I still can't make myself eat them!

Natalie said...

Yum! I am so hungry now!! :)

TeamDall said...

I totally agree. In fact, I know my mother agrees and Jeremy, too. Ummmmmm. Just thinking about it makes me wish we were eating it for dinner instead of chicken. Red, Hot, and Blue was the best in DC.

Aria said...

that sounds delicious. I can't quite imagine the "slaw" right now, but maybe you can post a recipe and I'll venture out. Slow-roasted meat is the best. :)

alanna said...

Um...hungry now. Could you post some recipes please?!

Snowwhite said...

Reading this makes me hungry. You should share some recipes.