Sunday, December 06, 2009
Gingerbread Train
We have a tradition of making a Gingerbread House at the beginning of December. This year the girls saw a picture of a gingerbread train, and really wanted to make one. So I googled it, and found a pattern. No problem I thought. So I started making gingerbread on Friday night. It's best to let the dough refrigerate for several hours, so Friday night it went in the fridge. After a few errands Saturday morning, I cooked my first batch. Once it's cooked you have to cut it into the shapes you want quickly because after it cools and hardens, you are out of luck. So I had all my pattern cut out of card stock and ready to go. I cut up the first batch, and then came to the realize several things: 1. The train was going to be a lot bigger than I had thought. 2. I was going to have to make at least two more batches of ginger bread. 3. I should have scaled down the pattern, but it was too late to look back. So I proceeded bravely onward; three batches of gingerbread and a double batch of royal icing latter we have a giant gingerbread train. It was a lot of fun to put together and decorate, and it only took about 1 1/2 hours. Here are a few pictures for your enjoyment.





Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
you are amazing, megan. truly a domestic diva. could you rub some of that off on me? i mean, homemade gingerbread? wow.
Wow Megan that is awesome! Completely homemade--not from one of those gingerbread kits either! I am so impressed. What a good mom you are. I hope you're enjoying your holiday season--we miss you guys!
This confirms my suspicions - you really ARE all that and a bag of chips with a cherry on top.
That's pretty cool. I can't believe you had to make 3 batches!
Post a Comment