Friday, January 08, 2010
Something to Ponder
The other night I flipped on the TV and it was on a public station. I don't remember which one, but the program was about how we learn to relate with others, and the importance of different relationships in our lives. It was fascinating how many different studies have been done. I used to think these kinds of programs were for "old" people. That brings up the question of am I old, or has my perspective just changed a bit...that's a subject for another day. For the concluding thought at the end of the program the "voice" said this profound thought, "Wether we like it or not, our happiness is in each others hands." I had to sit and think about this. We often tell children and young people that happiness depends on yourself. You alone can chose to be happy or not. I think that's not entirely true. We were made to be with others, family, friends, partners. So for today, just think about who out in the world is depending on you for their happiness, and who you depend on. It's really quite profound, or at least it was for me. Go out and spread the joy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Good point and great idea! We can decide to have a positive attitude not matter what (think about Elie Wiesel in the concentration camps)--but let's face it, it truly is a lot easier to be happy when you are surrounded by good people who love you. And what a good reminder about our impact on the happiness of others too.
I've found recently in my own life, that my day to day happiness (i.e. my mood) really is up to me and how I respond in various situation and relationships. However, my overall happiness is a function of all the people I am around that I care about and enjoy being with. So, I guess happiness does kind of go both ways. Thanks for the post. It got me thinking.
Megan, you are a great person. That topic is very similar to what our family learned from our Aunt Mandy. Her motto was "Kindness is Contagoius, catch it!" I do believe that how we treat people influences who thy are, how they feel, and what they do. Good post.
Post a Comment