Welcome

Monday, March 08, 2010

Green eggs and.....

It wasn't quite Green Eggs and Ham, but at least it was green eggs. Sunday we had breakfast for dinner. Steve whipped up some delicious buttermilk pancakes. (If you have never actually made pancakes with actual buttermilk, you are missing out. I will happily share our recipe if you want to try them, they are heavenly.) I was slaving away on a fruit salad and scrambled eggs. The girls insisted that green eggs taste better than your everyday yellow variety. Last year in Kindergarten they had green eggs and ham to celebrate Dr. Seuss' birthday. So I thought why not? Dr. Seuss was born in March and we just celebrated his birthday at school, and St. Patrick's day is not far off. As I was dripping blue and green food coloring into the eggs, I couldn't help remembering my mother. She is famous, or perhaps infamous, for dying food around a holiday. I remember one St. Patrick's Day when we had green potatoes, milk, anything that could be made green was. I said to myself back "in the day" that I wanted to be just like my mom. Unfortunately my present self is often too busy, worn out, or forgetful to remember to stop and dye the food every now and then. It was nice to have a reminder. Here are the green eggs, and before you knock it, you gotta' try it!
P.S. I had to add the picture with Steve and the eggs. I did say that I made them, but really I just whipped them and then somehow he was the one who actually cooked them, and yes he tucks his tie in when he is cooking. Maybe I should get him an apron....

2 comments:

The Boring Family said...

Green Eggs and Ham is Morgan book of choice these days. Please don't tell her they can really be made! I still like my eggs yellow!

Joseph and Tiffany said...

I would totally try them Megan :). I learned vicariously from Sam-I-am's friend! Perhaps we will have to do this for dinner some night with some ham. Miles would get a HUGE kick out of it.