Welcome

Sunday, March 21, 2010

A parenting moment

Last week all the girls in the family got our hair cut. Nothing major, just a trim. Kathryn was first. She settled into the chair as I was getting Juliana started on her reading. The person who cuts our hair is a friend from a previous ward. She lives in the neighborhood over, and it's very easy to get to her. Since we last went, some changes have occurred at her house, and she is now cutting hair in her kitchen as her other space has been taken over for another use. So back to Kathryn in the chair. . . we were discussing renting vs. owning. They are renting right now, and the house they are in is pretty old, and is a little hammered. Kathryn decided to enter into the conversation with her opinion. She said, "You should change some things in this house, (pause) and clean it." I was of course mortified. They do live differently than we do, but I had thought that we have discussed what to say out loud and what things to keep to ourselves. My friend took it like a pro, and admitted that afternoon was a crazy time at their house. I apologized, and she said, "Out of the mouth of babes." It was a moment in parenting where you realize your teaching has come up short. We'll be discussing the nuances of what to say out loud and what to leave unsaid this next week.

2 comments:

Joseph and Tiffany said...

I can relate! I had a mortifying moment with Miles at the pediatrician's, Hailey was crying after the doctor examined her and then the doctor made a comment to Miles about what a big boy he is for not crying when he's at the doctor and then Miles said, "Yeah, but sometimes my mom hurts me and then I cry." I was horrified!! I was racking my brain as to when I had ever "hurt" him (I don't spank and I couldn't recall anything else.) I was so embarrassed and couldn't stop wondering if I was going to get a call from CPS later that day...

I guess those are parenting moments we all have. Out of the mouth of babes indeed!

alanna said...

Haha. That made me laugh really hard.

One time at the grocery store Allen called a lady a he and Brad told him that she's a girl so we call her she. Allen responded, "Oh thats right. He's a she. She has a vagina!"